Skip to main content

Madonna Album Cover Art 1983

Madonna is the debut studio album by American singer and songwriter Madonna.
The cover art is probably one of the most famous photos of the artist Madonna. A description of the image on Wikipedia says:
Madonna with her right hand on her cheek and her left hand holding several chains wrapped around her neck.
This image has been on my mind a lot here lately, partly because I sometimes vaguely look like that in the mirror when I'm having a good hair moment.

To the best of my knowledge, I've removed all photos of me from the Internet. That's partly a political position in that I generally agree with Islam that it's problematic to post photos of people's faces.

Studies show that most attractive photos you see online are old. The more attractive the photo, the older it is likely to be.

If you feel you need some vague idea of what I look like, you can imagine I look kind of like that photo. It's no more misleading than me posting a ten year old photo of myself to serve my vanity and pretend I still look good.

I actually do still look good for my age, but my selfies don't capture what I see in the mirror. Photos seem to not be kind to older people, some variation on the idea that a camera adds twenty pounds.

I'm absolutely fine with what I see in the mirror about eighty percent of the time. I don't want to try to figure out how to post photos to the Internet that will convince strangers on the Internet I still look good and my self esteem is fine and my vanity is intact.

The second reason that photo is on my mind is because she's touching her face. I don't really have a problem per se with that, but I've been contemplating relaunching this site and it fits the theme.

When Madonna or any other artist poses for photos like album cover art, it's art, not reality. Just like when Madonna wears lingerie and business suits on stage, it's art, not fashion advice for how to dress for success.

It makes a great stage show. It shouldn't be anything you draw inspiration from for office wear or anything else.

Unfortunately, I've seen online influencers in conservative business suits and hooker heels and lingerie instead of a proper blouse. 

Female online influencers posting videos to YouTube are probably frequently married well and entertaining themselves by making videos and posting this stuff online. They probably aren't hard charging career women with office jobs. 

But that doesn't prevent ordinary women from watching this garbage and drawing "inspiration" from it and then wondering why they keep getting passed over for promotion.

My hair may sometimes look kind of like that photo and my face in very general terms of heavy brows and squarish may look vaguely like that photo, but you are unlikely to see me wearing heavy jewelry like that or touching my face.

If I'm touching my face, I'm probably washing my face or wiping sleep out of my eyes and I'm doing so privately at a sink and then I PROMPTLY wash my hands afterwards.

And photos like the one linked above probably inspire a lot of women to do things like touch their face imagining it's cute like Madonna. Odds are good you aren't anywhere near as cute as Madonna. 

I spent years reading stars without make-up articles to deprogram myself from cultural brainwashing and they routinely drag big stars famous for being beautiful. Madonna is the only exception I've ever seen where they start off sounding like they are going to drag her and then they go out with a whimper instead of a bang and sheepishly admit she looks okay without make-up 

And the reality is when you touch your face in public fantasizing about how CUTE you are being -- LIKE Madonna!! -- you probably aren't posing with your hand on your cheek in an artsy pose.

You're probably touching your eyes, ears, nose or mouth because something itches or otherwise bothers you and you are probably getting saliva or mucus or ear wax on your fingers and then touching ten thousand other things without washing first.

And I absolutely HATE you for it. 

People like you are why pandemics exist.

Please stop touching your face.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Untouchable

In some contexts, untouchable is a high status thing.  Commoners are typically not supposed to touch kings and queens and as someone with a serious, incurable medical condition and compromised immune system, I've often thought that my life would be vastly better if ordinary people got their bodily autonomy respected similar to kings and queens.  We don't actually need servants to handle THAT.  Most Walmart bathrooms have no doors and are spacious and provide a public space where strangers can avoid touching each other for germ control reasons.  1. You need space designed to serve that goal.  2. And you need social and cultural practices that support that, such as bowing to show respect instead of shaking hands to greet people.  Multiple older cultures with dense populations bow in greeting (instead of shaking hands), have spicy cuisine and other practices in line with my views of germ control. I'm guessing morons like MERIKA get a Darwin Award at some poin...

Stop Licking Your Fingers

I use self checkout a lot in part because so many cashiers lick their fingers to help them open plastic bags that aren't opening promptly. This is maybe less of a problem since the pandemic, but some cashiers do this so habitually, they don't notice that they do it and will deny it if you say anything about it to them. And will be offended if you ask them to use the hand sanitizer that most cashiers have at their station since the pandemic. Businesses should expressly make this a policy and work on establishing protocols for how to handle bags that are being difficult to open without licking your fingers as the solution.